I grew up in a coal mining family. My wife, Virginia, (who is a native Californian with Kentucky roots) and I have been residents of Jefferson County since 1999. Virginia is a descendant of two Revolutionary War ancestors who settled in Kentucky after the war.
I am proud to have a history of public service that includes four years in the United States Marine Corps and twenty-six years on the Los Angeles Police Department. I was elected twice in a general election to the board of directors of a community services district.
While in the Police Department, I rose in rank from Police Officer to Police Captain. My assignments as a Captain included serving as the Commanding Officer of detective, patrol, and traffic divisions.
I received extensive training in Police Management, Organizational Development, and Personnel Management, and specialized training in Homicide Investigations, Sexual Harassment Prevention, Disaster Management, and Traffic Management.
I have a B.A. degree in History, a Master’s degree in Public Administration, and a Law degree (J.D.). I worked as an extern for a Superior Court judge during my last semester at law school.
I am a member of the Kentucky and California Bar Associations and have practiced law in both California and Louisville.
I firmly believe I can do a better job than the incumbent by my experience and education, my integrity, and my commitment to serve the citizens of Jefferson County.
Harry Kozak’s Resume
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
Proudly served nearly four years in the United States Marine Corps.
LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT
Twenty-six years of experience with the Los Angeles Police Department. Retired at the rank of Police Captain. While a Captain, I commanded detective, patrol, and traffic divisions. I have been trained at the command level in Sexual Harassment Prevention, Homicide Management, Press Relations, and Traffic Management. I have attended two role-playing seminars put on by the California Specialized Training Institute that involved the study of the management of police responses to large-scale disasters such as deadly chemical spills and earthquakes.
While working at the Los Angeles Police Academy, I was assigned as the Officer in Charge of the Technology Section and managed the development of written materials and videos for police recruit and in-service training. As LAPD’s representative, I was assigned to the Consortium, a committee designated by California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) to review, evaluate, and recommend performance objectives for all police recruit training throughout California.
I was promoted to Police Captain in July 1980. While working as a Police Captain, I was:
- The senior officer at the scene of over 200 homicides and numerous situations involving barricaded suspects holding hostages at gunpoint.
- In charge of external security and traffic control at six performances of the Jackson Brothers’ Victory Tour at Dodgers Stadium and the 1987 Academy Awards in downtown Los Angeles.
Passed California Bar in 1990 and Kentucky Bar in 2000.
I have worked in civil litigation firms in California and Kentucky defending citizens from frivolous lawsuits. My last legal employer was the amazing law firm of Sewell and Neal in downtown Louisville.
- Bachelor’s degree in History from California State University at Los Angeles
- Master’s in Public Administration with a Criminal Justice emphasis from the University of Southern California
- Juris Doctor degree from Southwestern University, School of Law
- Elected twice as a Director of a Community Services District
- High school football official with the Kentuckiana Football Officials Association (six years) and the San Gabriel Valley Football Officials Association in California (twenty-four years)
- St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Louisville
- Marine Corp League Detachment 729, including participation on the pistol team
- Louisville Civil War Round Table
- Jefferson County Sportsmen Club
- Mystery Writers of America
Adult and Juvenile Fiction
Writing fiction, gardening, traveling, Cincinnati Reds baseball, hunting, and auto racing